Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Sunday, July 18, 2004

I, Robbed

Which is roughly how anyone who knows Asimov's robot stories will expect to feel when they see the Hollywood spin on I, Robot. I have no idea why Hollywood dumbs it down and screws it up so thoroughly, but given what they've produced in the way of inept sci-fi movies, I'm willing to script an inanity-guaranteed, mankind's-worst-fears realised good-robot/ bad robot series for them.
Meanwhile, Philip Ball gets to the heart of the problem:
"I, Robot is not in the end a movie about robotics (forget the token stuff about robots evolving feelings, which was handled far better in Blade Runner, a movie to which I, Robot is deeply indebted). Instead it is the old promethean legend once again - the story of the Golem of Prague, of Viktor Frankenstein, of the man who makes a monster he cannot control. It was in just such a tale, written by the Czech playwright Karel Çapek in 1918, that the word 'robot' first appeared, derived from the Czech robota, meaning 'forced labour'. In Çapek's story, a race of beings created as slaves by a scientist called Rossum (from the Czech rozum, reason) rebels and wipes out humanity.
It was precisely such a clichéd view of the robot that Asimov sought to displace. 'Under the influence of the well-known deeds and ultimate fate of Frankenstein and Rossum', he said, 'there seemed only one change to be rung on this plot - robots were created and destroyed by their creator. I quickly grew tired of this dull hundred-times-told tale. I began in 1940 to write robot stories of my own - but robot stories of a new variety.' Evidently it is not so easy to dislodge a myth."

|

3 Comments:

I was just disappointed that Will Smith didn't write another doggeral infested rap song for his I-Save-The-World-Every-July movie. Ironically today is the anniversary of the first human killed by a robot. Oh fun.

By Blogger Har, at 7/22/2004 12:20:00 AM  

Didja see Bicentennial Man?
i saw it for two reasons: loved the original story; Robin Williams.
Quite liked it, actually, but have notoriously low-brow tastes.
What's your verdict?

By Blogger zigzackly, at 7/24/2004 07:57:00 PM  

Those are the reasons for which I wanted to see BICENTENNIAL MAN -- enjoyed the original and love Williams -- but I found the end of the movie somehow ... flat. There's a type of story that doesn't want to end and so, when the moment for an ending approaches, the whole structure trembles and sometimes collapses. I found that true of AI too. Didja see that? With that amazing Halley-Joel-Osment-whatever boy and the droolsome Jude Law -- great performances -- but the end simply went tragically >CLUNK<. I'm not sure how to define the type of story that'll do this, but could it be the sort where the narrative is less important than the naming of types? Looking back, BLADE RUNNER was especially brilliant for having overcome this particularly difficulty. I liked the ending of the original version, incidentally, more than the Director's Cut.

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 7/25/2004 12:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com