Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Where's my free decoder?

David Mitchell may be a Great Talent and I'm sure he deserves to be the frontrunner in the Booker stakes. But I've been atomised and xinjianged and infinitely jested and Finnegannishly waked to death; after reading this review, I'm going to pass on Cloud Atlas until the publisher issues a free decoder ring with every copy.
Tom Bissell in the New York Times:
"With the exception of Zachry's tale, the book's thematic centerpiece, we visit each of these stories twice, in the following order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Each story is written quite differently -- so much so that ''Cloud Atlas'' feels like a doggedly expert gloss on various writers and modes. The archaic Ewing section, rendered in journal form, becomes Defoe, possibly Melville. The epistolary Frobisher story is, perhaps, Isherwood or some other sturdy English master. The Luisa Rey section, written in breathlessly lousy prose, is some species of sub-Grisham. The urban comedy of Tim Cavendish's antics is well within Martin Amis's city limits. The plight of Sonmi-451 is Huxley (or ''Blade Runner''). And the daymare of Zachry's postapocalyptic world is something out of William S. Burroughs in a ''Cities of the Red Night'' mood. Taken as a whole, ''Cloud Atlas'' seeks to give the novel a steely new rigging of the possible. It is an impressive achievement. Unfortunately, impressive is usually all that it is."

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com