Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Maximum Mehta on Bollywood

The last time I bought a copy of National Geographic (no offense meant, great magazine etcetera, but still) was to satisfy the ravening appetites of pre-teen boys who had heard (wild and unsubstantiated rumour) that the mag was running a feature intended to do for supermodel boobs what it had done for grass-skirted Pacific Island women for years. This time, I'm buying for far less scurrilous reasons: Suketu Mehta has an article on Bollywood in the most recent issue.
The National Geographic site has a brief excerpt and Suketu's field notes:
"Hanging out with Shah Rukh Khan was great fun. He told me about the kind of bizarre scripts people propose to him. In one story idea given to him by a politician, Shah Rukh's character dies. But there is no human body available for reincarnation. So he is born again as a dog. After nine months, he falls in love with a woman.
The politician had spent hundreds of thousands of rupees buying puppies and training them. He had many books about dogs on his table. I asked Shah Rukh if he was expected to act as the dog. In answer, he scratched his ear rapidly with his paw."

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com