Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Kurban Conundrum

Amardeep has a lovely post up on the mystery of Kurban Said:
"Among other things, I came across two novels by a writer I'd never heard of, Kurban Said. Reading through Paul Theroux's afterword to Ali and Nino, I saw this:
'But how had this Central Asian come to write his book in German and publish it in Berlin? Was he an exile, and if so, was this a pen name? It turns out that it was indeed a pen name, possibly shared by two people, one an Austrian baroness, Elfriede Ehrenfels, and the other an emigre Jew from Azerbaijan, Lev Nussimbaum, who had converted to Islam and taken the name Essad Bey and lived in Berlin and Vienna.'
Ok, wow. Now that's a backstory!"

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com