Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Vot, yaar, my book was a masterpiece, yaar

About a week before Tarun Tejpal did the ritual spurned author routine, the Babu met another writer who roundly castigated Indian reviewers...for being unnecessarily kind to books like The Alchemy of Desire. (It's so hard to keep everyone happy, ain't it?) But we sense that now would not be a good time to tell Tejpal that pretty much everyone who reviewed the novel pulled their punches for the worst of reasons: Tarun's a nice guy, even if he does shoot his mouth off, and everyone was on Tehelka's side when they got stomped on by the big, bad government.

"I think between incompetence and malice, almost no decent reviewing takes place in India. Mostly it is the clever, collegiate 'quiz competition' kind of notices that pass off for book reviews. Media journeymen -- out of work journos, copy editors in publishing houses, peripheral academics, precious column writers -- these are the ones who are handed out books. Most of them lack the skill, the craft, the heart, the understanding of the tradition, to assess serious books. They lack the ability to inhabit the intent or ambition of a book. They praise bad books, damn good ones -- all without understanding or reason.
At best, some of the more enterprising ones trawl the Internet and acquire some jargon and some familiarity -- the quiz-master kind -- with arcane literary names. And worse, they mostly write for small backslapping coteries -- again the same kind of collegiate sensibility, strongly reflective of half-knowledge mostly acquired through a few books and having nothing to do with adult lived lives.
Unfortunately, literature is neither a college quiz nor a college canteen caucus of precious-clever girls and boys, giggling over their first planned fornication or their last smart quip. Faulkner and Kafka don't live there; nor do Naipaul and Marquez. They move amid lived lives -- its concerns are different from those of quiz books.
However the sweet thing -- and proof of their incompetence -- is the fact that this reviewing makes no difference to the life of a book. Reviewers in India can neither make nor break a book. In the final analysis, the reviewer here is merely another reader, but cursed with the burden of having to make a telling pronouncement. Into all this thrown envy and malice. A very sad potion is what you get."

Just a couple of observations: you don't get paid much for reviewing--indeed, for all its lip service to literature, Tehelka pays pretty badly. You don't get much glory from reviewing books, either--given that the average print run is about 2,000 copies for a book if you're lucky, 5,000 if it's a "bestseller", the conversation around it isn't exactly booming. To anyone who has a Genghis Khan complex and wants to be a reviewer in order to "make or break a book", we say: go off and find a world to conquer instead, it's more fun.
So why do we review books? I'd love to say we do it to pay our dues or because we love literature or even for posterity, but the truth is we review books because we're addicts. We're hooked on to literature and great fiction, we're turned on by good books to the point where we'll shrug our shoulders and live with a mingy 500-word limit in magazines and papers, just so we can tell readers about something that made us fall in love with reading all over again. I know some reviewers who're failed authors and some reviewers who're very successful authors, and I know a lot of reviewers who're happy to be readers. Why "merely a reader", incidentally? Who's a writer writing for if he's not writing for readers--other writers? Daddy Naipaul? His agent? His dog?
We wade through a great deal of garbage and way too many chalta hai books not to be genuinely happy when something good comes our way. But while we might be polite, for all the wrong reasons, about books written by people who're as decent as Tarun and who've gone through as much in the way of harrassment as Tehelka did, don't try to force us to call a book a masterpiece when it's neither original nor particularly brilliant.

|

9 Comments:

Say it again, Babs! It sounds to me like TT was extremely fortunate that Indian reviewers are so exceptionally "incompetent" -- if competence means that the truth is to be told as baldly and entertainingly as possible.

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 5/11/2005 11:16:00 PM  

and then there are the authors who are failed reviewers.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/12/2005 08:26:00 PM  

Finally! someone has the guts to "Tell it like it is." I thought TJT's book was absolutely crap and pity the poor fool who wasted 500 bucks on it ( i borrowed.) All of my writer friends agree that the only reason TJT didnt get clobbered in reviews was because he is "a name" in the media. And we are appalled that reviewers like yourself, whose judgement we rely on, let him go so easily. Shame.
Of course Naipauls blurb on the cover will continue to reel poor unsuspecting souls in. That and the Sex 101. I hear the sales of Pent house letters have dipped considerably.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/13/2005 12:31:00 PM  

Don't be appalled, O Nonymous! The lives of young journalists and reviewers are hard enough without having to contend with possible career-death at the hands of oftentimes vengeful author/editor/publishers. I notice, for instance, that you've remained hidden behind the shield of Blogger's anonymity option -- even though you could have chosen to sign your comment (without the bother of having to register, i.e.) ...

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 5/14/2005 06:46:00 PM  

Thanks, Mag (again)...but in all fairness, O Nonnymuss has a point, as I keep telling myself, do not be kind to writers, they always stick you with the bill for lunch. (Hastily, to the Marginalien: this does not hold true for writer-artists, of course, only writers WITHOUT the hyphen...)

To be honest, I didn't think the book was absolute crap and while I would--and should--have been less kind, I wouldn't have trashed the book anyway. And that's the general reaction I've been getting from other readers--mild disappointment rather than outright rejection, so your vehement dismissal is interesting.

Would it be rude to ask whether there was absolutely nothing you liked about the book? For me, it fell into a category that I find especially hard to review: it's not so bad that you need to warn the world against it, or need to work it out of your system with a cathartic trash, but nowhere near good, certainly not when Small Island, Never Let Me Go, Saturday and Surface were sitting on the desk alongside AofDesire. It's not a great, rock-the-world debut, but it's not a bad debut. Even if, and here I quote a friend who wishes to remain unnamed, the blurb ("written from within the skin of India") got it slightly wrong: there should've been a "fore" before the "skin", no?

By Blogger Hurree, at 5/15/2005 12:30:00 AM  

oh huree babu!

I sent off that coment in a rush of euphoria after finally! seeing something "Vot Yaar..." in print about A of D that contained a kernel of truth.

Now I write in a calm and composed manner and shall try to disect my feelings behind that onslaught of venom "absolute crap etc"

I think my anger has more to do with the way we (and here i refer to journalists, writers, reviewers) react to the powerful and famous esp in delhi. Why the bowing? Why the trembling voice? Ok, so it wasnt a 100 percent trashy. there was a story and you could tell that it was a story he had tried very hard almost struggled to transform into what he hoped would be a great one. But sorry, it didnt turn out that way.

A few weeks ago a group of friends were discussing the book and we were unanimous in our reaction, which was: It was ok, chalta hai, nothing to get excited about.
Why dont you say something in print? I asked three of the people there who were published, who were marginaly famous, who that evening had turned vitriolic about AOD after a few drinks.
The truth was their own books hadnt done too well and they were not willing to stand up and say what they felt because of this.
Coming to reviewers, i can very well imagine that you have to read a lot of crap for very little money but people do trust your opinion. Look at the reviewers in the west, that lady who writes for NYT, Toni Morrison and Amy Tan quake the night before her review comes out.Because what she says matters and it matters because she does not care if Toni Morrison won a nobel prize or Amy Tan owns three islands in the caribean.
when you are partial you dilute your own powers, you water down your voice and you are responsible in some ways to your readers who like me then fling words like 'absolute crap" about in a bid to wonder what its all about.
Sincerely,

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2005 01:15:00 PM  

Right on, Anonymous. If you can't being yourself to be honest, don't do the review!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2005 12:33:00 AM  

Oh Nonnymouse One:
I like your points, and yes, you're abs right to call me and other reviewers when we choose the easy option... but I notice that your summary of AoD isn't that far off from what's come out in print.
What's interesting is that there's such a huge gulf between what you say of the book as a reader and what the author seemed to expect was due to him... and here we are, reviewers who're stuck in between, pissing off both parties.
To Anonymous Two, all I can say is that my review was kind, but certainly not dishonest.
These days, I miss Dom Moraes more than ever. Dom had a way of summing up books fairly but without undue kindness. Your writer friends, Nonny One, (may I call you Nonny?) sound a lot like mine. And I do find it ironic when the same people who castigate reviewers for being too gentle or too kind are in a position to write a review/ essay themselves but won't, because they fear it might hurt them, or because they feel the same obligation to be kind, no?
Perhaps the problem starts with a simple question: who do you review for? The only answer that makes sense is: for people who read. I know I get in trouble every time I step away from that dictum and write with the author's struggle in mind. Fear and malice are supposed to be the reviewer's nemesis, but they're self-defeating: you can always spot a genuflection miles off, you always see it when someone has an axe to grind. I find kindness much more debilitating, and besides, it makes the writing soggy.
Anyway, thanks for writing in, Mags, Anonymous, Anonymous--oh, both of the three of you.

By Blogger Hurree, at 5/17/2005 02:23:00 PM  

Stumbled across this exchange. The best stuff on reviewing in India has been written by Shashi Tharoor. Check out his "Bookless in Baghdad". Doesn't mention Tejpal, though.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/14/2005 11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com