Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Shooting from the lip

The Babu doesn't think Suketu Mehta is aware of this, but according to Vidhu Vinod Chopra: "Mehta is crazy. His marriage is over, he’s on the street." And this would be because...Chopra is angry about what he thinks Suketu wrote about him in Maximum City--but the film-maker hasn't read the book. Which doesn't stop him from shooting his mouth off in a bizarre interview with Tehelka's Sonia Faleiro:
"He writes, I’m told, (I haven’t read the book) that he came to my house and there were my three wives. [Mehta makes no such statement--Ed.] What is this nonsense? Renu (Saluja) was my ex wife, Shabnam is in Canada. I have had one wife for nine years. I haven’t spoken about this to the press, but talking about it to you makes me think I should sue him. It suits him to project this image of an Indian director, because it fits into the dangerous mind of Americans, who like to feel superior to everyone else. The book should be banned."
Unless there's another way of dealing with the problem, and of course Vidhu Vinod Chopra finds one:
"I’ve slapped a couple of critics, which is why I never get good reviews. But I hven’t slapped anyone for a long time. I have young children so I try very hard. But I get angry with people like Mehta. If he came here now, I would slap him."
That would be so much more mature.

|

4 Comments:

I always assume, when book-banner-wannabes claim not to have read the books they wanted banned, that they're lying. After all, I assume that anyone who wants to ban books is already over the top. No point believing anything they say, whether it's the precise number of wives they have at a particular moment in time or how many times they haven't read the book they want banned.

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 6/05/2005 09:01:00 PM  

I thought VVC came across as pretty together overall in the book. This is pretty stupid trash-tralk.

The most damaging thing actually wasn't the part about his wives, but the fact that instead of Sanjay Dutt and Hrithik Roshan, the film Mission Kashmir was originally supposed to have Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan!

Also striking were all the gestures made in the film industry to avoid censorship for "religious tension" reasons.

By Blogger Amardeep Singh, at 6/06/2005 06:23:00 PM  

I always assumed that book-ban people weren't readers by definition, but Manjula makes me think that maybe they're just very SELECTIVE readers. Maybe there are whole brigades of people out there who buy books by the bushel, hoping to be offended on page 262...
Amardeep, I'm glad you brought up the business about censorship in the film industry. It can get pretty bizarre, as with Black Friday, where the film has been held back from screening for fear that it might prejudice the ongoing case in court against the accused in the Bombay blast trials... but the book, meanwhile, has been freely, readily available in bookshops at the same time! Tell me how that makes sense?

By Blogger Hurree, at 6/07/2005 01:35:00 AM  

It makes sense to me. The books I would like banned are never books I have read. Why would I subject myself to the pain of reading a book I actively despise?

A few pages are sufficient for me to decide that the book needs to be banned. Sometimes a glowing review by someone I actively despise also suffices.

What is so hard to understand about this?

I would like to slap Mehta too.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/08/2005 02:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com