Death of a Salesman versus Free and Clear
From Elia Kazan's 'A Life', the story of how Arthur Miller's 'Death of a Salesman' was nearly renamed:
"Art and I decided to pass the script on to another good friend, Kermit, and his associate, Walter Fried... Kermit told me he'd consulted theatre owners and box-office treasurers, and everyone had cautioned him that the word 'Death' in a title invited death to the ticket window; this had been proved time and again, so they maintained.
One morning when I was in Kermit's side office, working on casting, he burst in and declared that he was convinced the title of the play had to be changed. He said there was an 'upbeat' phrase in the play that would make a fine title, commercial as well as meaningful. Fried and he were determined that Free and Clear should be our title. When my reaction was negative, then obdurate, then--when they persisted--scornful, they asked if I'd mind if they talked to Miller without me there. I don't know why I was so damn gracious, because my emotions were violently hostile, but I did say, 'Go ahead,' and they summoned the author quickly for consultation. Art had to pass the small office where I was waiting with the door open. When he came by, I pulled him in, and without telling him what their proposal was, I said, 'They want to talk to you about something I'm dead against. Don't you dare say yes.' Art went in, they talked without me; our title was not changed.'"






