Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Friday, August 06, 2004

Stepping in the same book twice

This report inspired the Babu to compile a rough, happily biased, and highly subjective list of books that require re-reading, and books he was unable to get through a second time.

Books I Return To


1) The Iliad, Homer
It's the battle scenes. The bits about gaffing people through the jaw.
2) Catch-22, Joseph Heller
Just for the pleasure of saying 'Major Major Major Major' over and over again.
3) To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Yup. Soppy choice, but I have the masses on my side here
4) The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Muriel Spark
5) Most of Faulkner; some of Flannery O' Connor
6) Tagore's Shesher Kabita and for some reason, Rajarshi
7) Bestiary, Julio Cortazar
Whenever I want a touch of strange
8) The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
This one's pure nostalgia--takes me straight back to my teenage years
9) The Leopard, Lampedusa
Yeah, yeah. It's like he's writing about my family.
10) The Mahabharata, especially in different translations
11) Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
As a reminder of what might yet be
12) A Portrait of the Artist, Dubliners, James Joyce
Joyce was an honorary Bengali, you know that?
13) Haroun and the Sea of Stories, Salman Rushdie
I reread Midnight's Children out of duty; this one out of pleasure
14) A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter Miller and
15) A Case of Conscience, James Blish
16) A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf
17) All About H Hatterr, G V Desani
Fourth reading and I still haven't figured the damn thing out
18) Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
The day I grow tired of Alice is the day I'm tired of life
19) A House for Mr Biswas, V S Naipaul
20) Mrs Dalloway, Virginia Woolf

21) Why isn't there any Shakespeare, given that I reread the plays all the time? Because we had to reread Good Will so often in school that I no longer know whether this is a choice of a reflex.
22) Instead, Pale Fire, Speak, Memory and Lolita, Nabokov
23) And Dostoevsky bar the potboilers
24) A High Wind in Jamaica, Richard Hughes
For some reason, people look at you very strangely if you say this is one of the greatest books of all time


Books I couldn't read more than once:

1) The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
2) Make that "anything by Ayn Rand"
3) And ditto Ron Hubbard
4) Hey, no fair leaving off Khalil Gibran

That was fun. Now for the real list. The rules: you can't include books that you haven't finished; to qualify, a book must be something that you've read once, perhaps disliked, perhaps even enjoyed, but that you cannot bring yourself to go back to.

1) Doors of Perception, Aldous Huxley
2) The God of Small Things, Arundhati Ro
y
Loved it at first reading. But balk like a nervous horse at the prospect of a second.
3) Finnegan's Wake, James Joyce
Once was quite enough.
4) Tropic of Cancer, Henry Miller
"This is not a book, in the ordinary sense of the word. No, this is a prolonged insult, a gob of spit in the face of Art, a kick in the pants to God, Man, Destiny, Time, Love, Beauty.."

Didn't live up to that promise.
5) War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
Once more into the breach, my friend? I've been promising myself I will, soon, some day, for the last 12 years.
6) Heat and Dust, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
Read the book, saw the film, what more do you want from me?
7) Most of Lin Yutang
Maybe the style's dated, maybe the politics. In my old age, I think she was a waste of time from the very beginning
8) Atomised, Michel Houellebecq
You know those French novels that everyone talks about and reads and has a copy of around the house and two years later, you wonder why you bothered?
9) The Wings of the Dove, Henry James
This one's weird. I enjoyed it. I thought about it a lot. And I just can't read this--or any James--again. No idea why, but it's like walking uphill on a glass slope.
10) Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
What, go through all those footnotes again?
11) Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
Frankly, m'dear, the racism hits you between the eyes the second time round
12) Shane, Jack Schaefer
Nope, I didn't want him to come back
13) The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
There should be a law banning the literary-minded from writing bad SF
14) Starship Troopers, Robert A Heinlein
I still can't believe I FINISHED the darn thing, forget reading it again
15) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey
Read this when I was 11, and have been haunted by the fear that I'll stop thinking it was brilliant if I ever reread it
16) Eucalyptus, Murray Bail
It's like the perfect one-night-stand--you don't want to come back and discover that the dude snores
17) The Chip Chip Gatherers, Shiva Naipaul
I have no idea why I read it in the first place
18) Faust, Goethe
Once you know how it ends, why bother?
19) Remembrance of Things Past, Marcel Proust
If I had two lives, I would read this again; but it would need another life all to itself.
20) The Trotternama, I Allan Sealy
I keep browsing through this, but have never been able to start at point A and work my way across to Z after the first time
21) Clarissa, Richardson

Wouldn't even have ploughed through this thoroughly unrewarding artifact the first time round if my college hadn't employed sadists as teachers

|

7 Comments:

Books I Return ToFirst, from your list:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird At least once a year. Damn, i'm one of the soppy masses then? Have always considered this the perfect parenting handbook.
2. Catch-223. Haroun and the Sea of StoriesAnd:
4. The Prophet i know, i know.
5. Anything by Wodehouse. As Evelyn Waugh says on the back of all the Penguin editions, "Mr Wodehouse's idyllic world can never stale." At least for me it doesn't.
Anything by
6. Douglas Adams7. Asimov8. Clarke9. Woody Allen10. James Herriot12. Groucho Marx11. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories12. Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister13. The Moon's a Balloon & Bring on the Empty Horses David Niven's autobiographies.
14. Don't Mr Disraeli i forget the authors, and i can't lay my hands on the book.
And to lower perceptions of my brow even further:
14. Asterix and Tintin and Calvin and Hobbes comics

Books I couldn't read more than once:1. Alice in Wonderland i think i read this for the first time when i was too young to appreciate it. But i still like sipping at random.
2. The God of Small Things Mm. Similar reasons.
3. The Catcher in the Rye Five or six attempts over several years to finally finish it. But i do reread Nine Stories now and again.
4. Lord of the Rings A book i first read late in life. Been planning to reread, but never get down to it.

And i know you said books you haven't finished don't qualify, but:
Books i've never been able to get through1. The Trotternama and have never been tempted to go back, though there's a copy on my shelf.
2. Vernon God Little One day, one day.

And with your continued indulgence
Books i've been meaning to read for yonks, but somehow haven't got down to1. Most of your list except the pitiful few i mentioned up here.
2. A Suitable Boy3. The Complete Works, Shakespeare Oh, the lack of a literary education shows again
4. A collection of Conrad that's been sitting on my shelf for three years
5. Almost everything by the IWE set.
6. Stephen King's books, except for Carrie and On Writing

By Blogger zigzackly, at 8/06/2004 11:39:00 PM  

Amazing. I am about to make a confession that will no doubt lose me the few friends I have on the Net: aside from a couple of children's books, I have practically NEVER reread anything (discounting of course, the coupla texts that were part of compulsory Eng Lit in College). I mean I can name only one book I've definitely reread and that's THE MAGUS, by John Fowles. I can even explain why: because it was the "refurbished" edition, and I was reading it many years after the time I read the first one. I am hugely impressed that anyone who already reads as much as the Babu and (presumably) Zig, actually has the time to REREAD anything. I certainly don't! If I clear a couple of books a month that's already such a feat that I figure there's abs no time for returning for seconds. Ah well. I suppose I could create a list of books that I MIGHT reread if I believed I had the time, but ... not tonight, Josephine.

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 8/07/2004 12:36:00 AM  

Nice little reference shelf, Hurree Babu. Did you just nail that on, or have I just missed it before?

By Blogger neha, at 8/07/2004 01:37:00 AM  

Hurree,
Damn. That HTML showed up ok on the Preview page. But it's many sheets to the wind now. Apologies for messing up your nice neat page.

Marge,
i don't cover anywhere nearly as much as Hurree does. But yes, i read a lot. Mockingbird is the only one i re-read regularly. As to the others, i pick them up when i don't have anything else to read; when i'm cold-turkeying from the web; when Real Life isn't taking up too much time. They inevitably take over completely, though i may have started with the intention of reading just a few chapters, and i wind up reading them cover to cover. Sometimes i see new things in them, sometimes it's old memories brought back to smile at. Rather like looking through old photo albums...

By Blogger zigzackly, at 8/07/2004 04:18:00 AM  

Nice to see the gang back here!
Neha, no fair you being here and not contributing to the list. (Glad you like the ref shelf, though; it's new, and Addictions has a few new entries as well.)
Zig, nice list: Don't Mr Disraeli was written by Caryl Brahms or possibly Caryl Schubert, can't remember which. Haven't read it for yonks--hmmm, maybe that's one more to reread! And it's okay about The Prophet; many of my friends tell me that my prejudice against Gibran shouldn't extend to that particular work. It little prophets that I should continue to dislike him etc.
I have no idea why I reread books, btw. There's a few on the list that have become old friends and more: The Iliad, Joyce, Faulkner and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie go beyond that. They're books I reread not to see what I make of them now, but to see how much I've changed and how much maturity I still lack from the last time I read them. Some rereading happens out of compulsion: if I'm faced with a stack of depressingly bad "new" fiction, I might retreat into a tried-and-tested old favourite just to ward off doom and gloom. Some rereading is "chain rereading": I'll be reading something completely different that will remind me of x book, so I'll go back to x and then think, oh wait, how about what y said. This happened with Martel's Life of Pi, which sent me scurrying into the arms of Julio Cortazar's short stories, which reminded me of an essay on Blow-Up, which had me looking for some stuff on Antonioni, which I couldn't find, so I sat down with Kurosawa's autobiography instead, and then dug out Akutagawa's Rashomon and other stories... and so it goes.
The Marginalien's approach is much more sensible: also indicative of a true reader, one who doesn't need to have memory jogged because the great characters and great books already have a permanent place there.
Robert, great to see you here--and you reminded me that there's no Garcia Marquez on my list. (How COULD I?) Harlot's Ghost gave me exactly the same sensation--something like having run a marathon through streets of jello with your feet encased in cold blocks of ice--it's an interesting thing to have done, but you wonder why you bothered. It should, by rights, be on my to-reread list, but the mind shudders at the thought.
And you're going to reread Pynchon? Mmmm. Good man. I can't read him except in short, intense bursts, and I do mean intense. But I need to draw breath between the chapters; he demands so much. On the other hand, maybe I need to read Gravity's Rainbow again...

By Blogger Hurree, at 8/07/2004 09:13:00 PM  

"... having run a marathon through streets of Jello ...' deserved a response! Quiveringly unpleasant description, neatly served.

Methinks you let me rather too easily off the hook. I don't think I have a method -- it's just this over-whelming concern I have, that I will not live long and therefore can't afford to do anything more than once (uhhh ... well, except for tedious things like brushing teeth etc). I expect to feel this way regardless of my actual age, so I don't expect there'll ever be a time when I will just relax into the grip of my favourite books. *sigh* But ... as to the list of those I WOULD reread if I 'had the time':

Yukio Mishima's SEA OF FERTILITY
Mervyn Peake's GORMENGHAST (all three)
Douglas Hoftstadter's GOEDEL ESCHER BACH
Doris Lessing's CANOPUS IN ARGOS quintet
John Fowles' THE MAGUS
Joseph Heller's CATCH-22
Umberto Eco's THE NAME OF THE ROSE
JRR Tolkien's THE LORD OF THE RINGS (alas, I find that the movies have sort of destroyed the books for me. I no longer feel that intense and intimate sense of 'ownership' of the story) and in particular THE HOBBIT
George Perec's LIFE: A USER'S MANUAL
Anthony Burgess's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
Louis Berniere's CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN

ahhhh ... and so many others, lurking on the other side of my mental bookshelf, alas out of my current reach.

Also -- I have just realized there is a type of book that I HAVE lavishly and exuberantly 'reread' many times over -- and that is:
Robyn and Rand Miller's MYST, RIVEN & even EXILE, which I didn't like much.
and ALL OF TINTIN!!! Over and over and over again. I suppose I must be a visual person.
And like I said in my previous post, children's book lie outside the pale, because I reread them many times over as a child, in particular, and forever:
Lewis Carroll's ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS and IN WONDERLAND
EB White's CHARLOTTE'S WEB
Kenneth Grahame's THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS


Then there is the list of books that I enjoyed at the time but would never dream of rereading again:
Sergeanne Golon's 'ANGELIQUE' series (it shocks me to find that I am willing to admit I read them -- but I really DID enjoy 'em!)
Salman Rushdie's MIDNIGHT'S CHILDREN
AS Byatt's POSSESSION
Daphne Du Maurier's REBECCA
I Allan Sealy THE TROTTERNAMA
-- oohhh ... and many more.

I also have a list of those that I have never got around to reading which I wish I had but now know I never will:

Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE
Proust's REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST
All of James Joyce aside from ULYSSES which I read and think I liked, except I'm not sure how much I understood. There must be others, but it's getting late, and I fear the server is about to disconnect out of sheer boredom.

By Blogger Manjula Padmanabhan, at 8/08/2004 12:46:00 AM  

Yup, Caryl Brahms it was. And co-authored by i think, S J Simon.
The authors' foreword, i remember, has some memorable notes on how they worked together. Well, maybe not so memorable, because they're just THERE, on the edge of my memory... Damn your eyes, whoever it was that's borrowed it and not given it back.

By Blogger zigzackly, at 8/08/2004 03:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com