Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Napalm bombs

This is what I like about VS Naipaul: he's such a master of the art of the deliberately inflammatory quote.
"While condemning terrorism, Naipaul, 72, blames Saudi Arabia for funding it. 'All this comes from Saudi Arabian money. I don't know who we are kidding. Here is the war on terror and it is being subsidised by an ally.'
He further adds: 'It (Saudi Arabia) has contributed nothing to the world - it has just filled the gambling dens and brothels. They are not fine people actually.'"
Anita Sethi gives Magic Seeds a respectful review:
"Magic Seeds is a novel about broken communication, as in the many half- written letters Chandran composes to his sister. In their failure to cross the void, they carry a tragic message that there are more worlds, more words, in our shared world, than we can ever know. But it is in depicting so lucidly the half-built dreams which haunt the liminal spaces of forest, hotel room, prison cell and airport lounge, that Naipaul finds his peculiar kind of artistic completion and achieves a startlingly desolate eloquence."
The Scotland on Sunday review is less ecstatic:
"The London chapters form a sustained and depressing meditation on a civilisation that has apparently unravelled itself. Mapping the decline of England, a country which has become 'the most horrible kind of socialist parody', the novel seeks to place the blame entirely on the pernicious effects of council housing and state benefits. Naipaul reaches for a surprisingly ugly and hate-filled rhetoric to make his case against the rise of barbarism (although these opinions are presented as Roger’s rather than the author’s)."

|

3 Comments:

"They are not fine people, actually." Ouch! Napalm indeed.

But, you know, the thing with this discombobulated sourpuss of a headcase is that he somehow convinces you that he's one of the few people out there whose bullsh*t detector is in excellent working order.

That, plus he's got a delicious way with a putdown.

elck

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2004 02:39:00 AM  

I'm sleep-deprived so I forgot to mention that he dissed multiculturalism as well: called it that "whole multi-culti" thing and said nasty things about "jobs for the boys". Found myself in sneaking agreement with him, and also found this delightfully indignant response at the Times of India:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/841279.cms
Until I read Magic Seeds and Half a Life, I used to think that it made sense to take Naipaul's writings rather than his pronouncements seriously. After those two books, though, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to take his recent writing seriously.
Anyway--yawning--off to catch up on my sleep. Thanks, Elck.

By Blogger Hurree, at 9/07/2004 03:28:00 AM  

Hi,
The comment about the Saudis by Naipaul was lovely. What you said about Ms Roy in your other post holds even more for him-and in my opinion, he often has a great deal of substance in his views, though they may be prejudiced in many cases. "Sourpuss of a headcase" he is indeed :).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2004 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com