Cold shoulder for No Cold Kitchen
Nadine Gordimer just de-authorised her authorised bio, much to the dismay of Ronald Suresh Roberts, who spent seven years working on the book.
The Guardian reports: "Mr Roberts said the Nobel laureate objected to his quoting a letter from the 60s in which she revealed disdain for Ruth First, a fellow anti-apartheid activist who was subsequently assassinated by a letter bomb.
'I keep thinking of points to score off the silly bitch,' the letter allegedly said.
The biographer also said she was unhappy that he mentioned her feelings about the apparent failure of another writer, Doris Lessing, to congratulate her on the Nobel: 'I suspect she thought it didn't seem sufficiently Olympian.' In fact Ms Lessing had congratulated her but the letter had been mislaid."
Gordimer has a different perspective.
"Objections which were raised by me in March 2003 have to date received no response nor to my knowledge have been rectified as contractually required. There has been no question of my opposing publication of the book, only of the portions of the text that have not been agreed with by me in terms of my agreement with Mr Roberts.
In respect of the substantial number of inaccurate and in some instances untrue statements, I am not prepared to take the matter further in the press. I naturally reserve all my rights."
The Babu would've commented on the issue, but he's sidetracked by a minor if puzzling detail. The Guardian report lists 'Burger's Daughter' among Gordimer's works, which I remember reading as 'Burgher's Daughter'. But it seems that 'Burger' has become an acceptable alternative spelling for 'Burgher'--or maybe not. I'm trying to figure out when the switch happened, even as I attempt to banish visions of Big Mac offspring, waxed wrapper, pickles and all, wandering around South Africa and flashing winsome girlish smiles at the locals.






