Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Getcha Gmail here (sigh)

If you want a Gmail account, you don't have to do this or this or this. I have six more to give away. Since it feels like I've already dumped about fifty of these mothers on family, friends and an unsuspecting world, I'm taking it that the Gmail craze is over. All the same, if you'd like one, follow these simple rules:

1) Write to me at hurreeATgmailDOTcom, or post your request in the Comments section; please include an email ID, since Blogger comments don't automatically record or display your email ID.

2) Do not spam my blog, post ads on my blog, or send me links to dirty pictures. None of these will get you a Gmail account; all of these will get you a lot of grief, unless you're sending me cat porn. (That was a joke. Do not send me cat porn unless you want me to respond by mashing your face into used cat litter, of which I have plenty.)

3) The last time I did this, there were more hopefuls than Gmail invites available. If there are too many claimants, I'm going to give the last two Gmail accounts to whoever writes The Best First Line For A Novel Which Contains The Terms Gmail and Cat Porn. (Alternatively, The Best First Line For A Novel Which Contains The Terms Gmail and Used Cat Litter.) Extra points to anyone who can parody an already famous first line, such as: "Mother died today, but I was too busy sending cat porn to strangers I couldn't care less about from my new and unwanted Gmail account to notice."

|

12 Comments:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a gmail invite must be in want of a cat porn."

stocker2010 at yahoo dot com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/08/2004 06:46:00 AM  

How about poetry?...I dont want a gmail account but I couldn't resist the challenge...


LET us go then, you and I,
When gmail accounts are being thrown across the sky
Like used cat litter upon a table;
...



Damn. now im thinking of more and more first lines and i cant get any work done...

Avinash

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/08/2004 10:50:00 AM  

How about poetry

LET us go then, you and I,
When gmail accounts are being thrown across the sky
Like used cat litter upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of checking gigabyte mail accounts in one-night cheap hotels
And spam that drives you into an endless hell:
E-Mails that go on forever like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question …
Oh, do not ask, “Why the flying f**k do I need it”
Let us go and make our visit.


I dont need a gmail account but I couldnt resist...damn! Now i'm going to sit around all day figuring out other first lines and wont be able to get any work done.

Avinash

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/08/2004 10:58:00 AM  

My I have one please? My email is lalu2004@hotmail.com/tks

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/08/2004 12:50:00 PM  

Hi can I have one? My email id is josepha_p@yahoo.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/08/2004 03:47:00 PM  

Dang. Now there's gonna be no body coming to MY gmail contest.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/09/2004 12:28:00 AM  

Sorry for being slow-witted, but what's the deal with this gmail account? Why is it coveted?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/09/2004 01:17:00 AM  

"As G. Mail awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gicantic box of cat litter."

I'd like an account, please!

randajarrar@yahoo.com

By Blogger rockslinga, at 9/09/2004 02:00:00 AM  

how about this?
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the beach, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped over at the peculiar cat porn her sister was studying, but it had no hold on her, `and what is the use of these pictures,' thought Alice, 'when I could be conversing with the Cheshire cat over gmail?`

Kristen French
frenchie72@earthlink.net

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/09/2004 02:04:00 AM  

Ooh. Eliot, Kafka, Carroll, Austen AND cat porn on the same page. I love this (despite the pretty obvious fact that every freakin' person who browses Kitabkhana appears to be way more talented in the parody dept than the Babu).

Wired (www.wired.com) answered the question about why Gmail accounts are/ were so coveted:

"Gmail has attracted a huge amount of attention in recent weeks. Google plans to allow Gmail users to store up to 1 GB of e-mails and attachments in their accounts -- far more storage space than competitors Yahoo Mail and Hotmail offer. But Gmail is still in beta and the public can't sign up yet. You have to have an invitation from Google employees or associates to open a test account. People are clamoring for the accounts because of Google's image as a young, hip, progressive company."

Then Gmail started to hand out free invites to existing users, and the bottom dropped out of the market.

The advantages? Huge mailbox sizes, an automatic recording of mail ids, a nifty search function that allows you to dredge up all mails that mention, for example, "red-bottomed baboons", and a way of organising to-and-fro mails as conversations that's quite useful. The disadvantages? Privacy issues (though if you're truly paranoid, you believe that everyone's reading all your mail, no matter what service provider you use, so you might as well go with Gmail); the archiving system is annoying; and at least in Beta, a lot of genuine mail gets dumped in the Spam folder.

Besides, now that it's spreading through the universe, what with even Joe Bloggers like me being offered tons of invites to give out, Gmail has now officially been downgraded. Coveting is in inverse proportion to ownership: the easier it gets to have an account, the less necessary it becomes.

Oh well. It's still a fun service.

By Blogger Hurree, at 9/09/2004 03:13:00 AM  

What i meant to say, of course, was my Gmail contest. And i also forgot to sign in.

By Blogger zigzackly, at 9/09/2004 04:48:00 AM  

Pride and Purience

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a Gmail account, must be in want of a some fresh links to cat porn.

cartervancarter AT hotmail DOT com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/09/2004 09:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com