Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Sunday, November 21, 2004

An offer I can't refuse

From Rohit Gupta, Bombay-based blogger: "I'm writing a blognovel. If you like a quotation from this novel, tell me about it. I will link that text, less than 50 words, to your blog or website. In return, you use that quote as a link to my novel on your site. It's a gift-exchange system, and that simple. After this, you own that quote. I own nothing, and nothing owns me."
As you surf through the novel, stray lines come into focus; lines someone else has linked to, that will take you to some stranger's website or blog. If Le Spirale Fantastique takes off, Gupta's "book" will be something like a living tapestry of winking lines connecting homesteads, web diaries, poetry blogs, other works in progress, little green flags popping up all over his text to say nothing more than "I was here, I read this". It's like notes in the margin of a secondhand book. Or linking hands in a crowd of strangers. A moment of contact that may or may not be meaningful, but that's, well, kind of fun.
Here's the quote I'd like to... rent? own? Let's just stick with "link to".
“Bengalis. I hate Bengalis,” says Sharma, finally relieved at speaking what he feels, “You smell of rotten fish and your oily hideous faces, your threadbare moralizing of everything, your fake cultural pride, it sickens me. Not since Tagore ( and you let common thieves steal his Nobel medallion) have you had an icon, not since the subway a sign of progress."

|

1 Comments:

The quote now belongs to you, Hurree. Thanks for doing business with me ;) - Rohit Gupta

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/24/2004 02:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com