Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Scots whae hae etc

"Divide-and-Rule is an old British sport," Ram Guha said before launching a tirade against William Dalrymple. (This is a particularly unkind cut--Dalrymple is Scottish and given the Scots perspective on the English through history, he can't have enjoyed being lumped in with the British!)
As expected, Dalrymple has a rejoinder this week--scroll down the Letters page:
"I usually rather enjoy Ramachandra Guha's slightly demented diatribes against his fellow writers, but since it is now my turn to be the target of his ire, I feel that I should at least point out that he misquotes and misrepresents me no less than four times in as many paragraphs."
Ooh, literary spats. It's been a while since the last really decent one. Someone asked the Babu recently, "Where do you stand on Dalrymple?" The only correct answer to this question is not on the man's head, stomach or other sensitive spots if I can help it.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com