Life happened because I turned the pages~~Alberto Manguel

Monday, August 09, 2004

Egostroking, sort of

The Babu intended to do the usual "huzzah, hallelujah" thing when visitors to Kitabkhana crossed a certain number.
The problem here is that he's a) numerically illiterate and b) technically challenged.
So while he intended to wave the flags and hire marching bands when Kk crossed 10,000 visitors, the truth is... he forgot to keep count.
He has no idea how many people dropped by Kk between March 2003, when the blog kicked off, and January 2004, because he didn't include a counter. (Yeah, yeah, the hallmark of an amateur blogger!)
And he managed to deactivate the Sitemeter thingie for two months somewhere around May-June 2004, so those stats are missing.
And most people who get to this site after a Google search are searching for things like "Rushdie Padma Lakshmi wedding" and "book quiz". Some perverts are here because they were looking for "harami+lusty", which led them to items by Amitava Kumar (an excerpt from a piece on Hindutva hatespeak) and an article on James Joyce's letters to his wife. One mystified the hell out of the Babu by searching for "godawful killer dogs". This is truly weird because the Babu doesn't remember ever blogging anything about godawful killer dogs, though now he might. (He can take a hint.)
Allasame, the blog crossed 14,000 visits--not page views, it apparently has 21,000 page views, whatever that means--between January and August. Not counting May and June and some of July, because, er, they haven't been counted.
Most of the people who drop by Kitabkhana seem to stay for a while, and the Babu's especially glad to see that many who come by wander off and browse either the brilliant blogs listed in the sidebar or the author websites listed there.
So that's the report. I still don't know how many people have dropped by at Kk over the last year; I have no idea why I'm getting a LOT of referrals from a casino site based in Florida; and I have no clear visitor profile, geekspeak for "I have no idea why anyone but the Babu would waste its time out here".
But thanks for coming by, and thanks for hanging out here when you do. Bookmark the page. Tell your friends. Before I manage to bugger up the counter and my statistics as I will doubtless succeed in doing again.

|

3 Comments:

I suppose I should have known that I wasn't the only one that had really odd links - I've nearly given up on looking at referrals because I'm perplexed why anyone looking for "Mistress" and "Lolita" would want to go to a lit blog named Chekhov's Mistress that had mentioned the book Lolita - imagine their disappointment. Anyway, a long winded congrats - your post gave me a "me-too" feeling - from a relatively new visitor who has but a fraction of hits.
www.chekhovsmistress.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2004 10:21:00 AM  

For a time I fantasised that I might be Vikram Seth too, but then he told me to quit stalking him.
Given the weird ways in which people find Kitabkhana, I don't think I want to find out how they discover Chekhov's Mistress--have fun, though, and enjoy the blogworld.
And yup, my tech guru tells me I have 14,000 visitors as opposed to page views. Have just worked out that if I had a buck for every page view Kk's made, my bank manager might stop greeting me with Rottweilers. It would be nice to be chased by a Doberman for a change.
Thanks for stopping by; thanks for commenting; thanks for coming back (this doesn't mean you, Bloke Who Said Drunken Rude Things At The Party Last Night about the inverse relationship between the Babu's politeness and Kitabkhana's entertainment quotient).

By Blogger Hurree, at 8/13/2004 09:36:00 PM  

Ah, but do you get hits from searches for Nidhi Razdhan and Sarah Jacob?

By Blogger zigzackly, at 8/15/2004 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com